Monday, November 17, 2008

Confirmation and Beliefs

Q: My problem is my religion. I have nothing against the Catholic Church, but I would like to find out about other religions. I don’t feel it’s fair for me to have to automatically go to the same church as my parents. I have always considered myself an independent person. If I don’t believe in everything the Catholic religion preaches what is the point of me being confirmed?

A: At some point in life, many people tend to go through a period of questioning their faith and religion. It can be much more meaningful to believe in something because you really think that it is right, rather than just because your parents made you attend church.

I know that a lot of people are confirmed early in high school, but if you don’t feel like you are ready or aren’t yet sure about the Catholic Church, I think that it is a good idea to learn more about the Catholic Church on your own. A good place to start might be the bibliography in the sidebar of this blog.

If you want to learn more about the requirements for the Sacrament of Confirmation, then check out the Catechism of the Catholic Church. (CCC, 1306-1310)

Tom