Friday, July 25, 2008

Searching for God

Q: I've been searching for God for a long time, I've tried religion, but it seems so impersonal. If you have any answers that changed your perspective and life please tell me about it. I want to find the reason why I exist. How did you find God?

A: Everyone finds God in different ways. But how do you find Him? Talk to Him, pray. Tell Him everything, about your mom and dad, siblings, school, things you do everyday. Tell Him you’ve been looking for Him and that you want to know Him. Ask God, “Why do I exist? Why am I here? What is my purpose?” God will show you the way. He has a plan for you.

Stop searching and reach out to Him. He is right there, waiting for you. He is always present, and He will always love you. You will never be alone.

Make time to talk to Him, like you would your best friend. God wants to be your best friend. He wants to be part of your life.

Religion helps you in your relationship with God, it doesn’t get you one. That’s probably why “religion” seemed so impersonal. Finding the religion you want to be is hard because everyone is out there telling you that his or her religion is best. Do some reading about the Catholic religion (see the bibliography), pray, and take your time. Ask God for direction. Don’t worry about not having a certain religion, God will love you anyway, but be open to God’s plan.

The Catholic faith, especially through the Eucharist, is how I found God, and continues to take me to deeper levels in my relationship with Him. I found out why I exist through my Catholic faith.

Amanda