Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Different Ways to Mourn and Deal with Death

Q: Yesterday my aunt died out of the blue. When I have to deal with things like this I try not to think about them, but my sister tells me I should cry and let it all out. I just don’t show my feelings like other people. Usually if I am upset I put on some music because it helps me get my stress out by singing along with it. Do you think that is a healthy way to deal with a family member’s death?

A: People mourn in different ways, some people ball their eyes out, others sit and pray, some analyze the situation, and others de-stress by doing something. If you find that it is most helpful to you to put on music and sing away the stress that is wonderful, because you are working on dealing with the situation. However, I think it is important to think about the things you are dealing with in your life. It is always hard for people to deal with death. I think you should keep singing to help yourself feel better, but do not ignore the situation. I find that talking things out works for me, even if it is talking things out between just God and I. I’m not going to tell you the best way for you to mourn, but do not ignore your aunt’s death.

Alex