Monday, September 15, 2008

Steroid Use

Q: I want to move up in the weight lifting world. I need to be bigger than I am now, but I’m having trouble losing fat and gaining muscle. Can steroids hurt you?

A: I remember learning about steroids in health class, so the first thing I will advise is asking your health teacher about some of the effects of steroids. Steroids work by increasing the levels of testosterone in your body and this can cause serious side effects. Some of the effects include shrinking testicles, skin problems, and cardiovascular problems.

Steroids are not the answer for losing fat and gaining muscle. If you are serious about losing fat and gaining muscle, I suggest speaking with a doctor, nutritionist, or a dietician. Anytime you are considering taking a pill that is going to manipulate levels of hormones in your body you should call a doctor.

Alex

For more information:
NIDA for Teens: The Science Behind Drug Abuse
Don't Be an Asterisk