Monday, September 29, 2008

How to Answer the Questions of Non-Catholics

Q: I have some non-Catholic friends who love to challenge my faith and ridicule and put me down when I cannot answer their questions. What's the best way to deal with them?

A: Don’t listen to their ridiculing; ignore it. If you can’t, that’s okay, because if you’re willing to do a little work you won’t have to for long.

First of all, if you can’t answer any of their questions then just use the three most commonly used words (in my case, at least) in apologetics: "I don’t know." Those words? Yes, those words. But what are the words I don’t know without its counterpart? Nothing. So what you need to do is follow them up with: "but I can find out."

Then comes the hard part. Do the research. You can go and ask someone to help you come up with an answer to a question, like your parents, or a priest, or anyone else you think could help. There are also a lot of books you can read that can give you more information. My personal favorite is the Catechism of the Catholic Church (second edition, mind you). This book has anything and everything there is to know on Catholicism in it, and it is big, too big sometimes. Of course it has an index and glossary (believe me you will need them). See the bibliography in the back of this book for some great apologetics books. A good website to check out is Catholic Answers. This will be enough to get you started.

You probably don’t need me telling you this, considering you used the word friends, but I’ll tell you anyway just in case. When answering a question don’t get aggressive, you should be assertive, but even a little aggressiveness can make matters worse. Share the Truth with love!

Christian